Sunday, April 28, 2013

This and That- and Birdbaths Again!


Well, it's been awhile again since I've posted.  Since my last post I've created a facebook page.  "Amy Huacani Pottery".  Also put black underglaze on this birdbath today.  Here it is, almost finished.  Then I"ll take a spong and wipe off the extra black. 
 Also made a couple more birdbaths today including this one.  The rice and upside down bowls are there to support the sides as it dries.  Will also etch words onto this one when it is the right consistency to do so.
 It was raining this evening and I discovered that the rain gutter near the garage was cluttered.  So, in the rain, I went out and got on a ladder and got this pine stuff out of it.  Mission accomplished!  Probably not the smartest or safest thing I've done, yet I learned my dad did the same before too.  I am my father's daughter.  :)  All is well afterwards- and the rain will find a new home farther from the house.
 This iris came with the house and didn't bloom last year, so I was excited about this- and two more blooms are under it.  Gorgeous yellow!  I think iris can be finicky.  I am lucky with this one.
 So these are maple leaf hibiscus seeds that a wonderful friend gave me.  I took them out of the pod which was a bit tough--- the burrs on the pod can really hurt your hands and well, thankfully- mission accomplished.  Now just to figure out where to plant them!

 Closer up look of the iris.
 Here's 6 3/4 lbs. of clay.  I'm encouraged these days that the longer I'm at this, the more quickly I can make this...
 Another potential birdbath or shallow bowl.
this is a bit crooked, but I won tonight in that the gutter is working better and I created a mini moat for the rain to travel so the zinnias can grow.  And, there's a wonderful bowl that has the first S-crack in the bottom--- I was disappointed at that, yet at least it took years before an S- crack appeared.
That's all for now.  Vases and a potential blue transparent glaze will be the next post.  What forms are you working on these days?
Thanks for reading and for your comments.

1 comment:

Linda Starr said...

Beautiful iris. Like you I often grab what is nearby to support work, but sometimes I plan ahead and use paper towel rolls cut up into pieces to support the edges or pieces of foam.