Nephew! Garrett at 2 1/2 has great fine motor coordination, I might add and his sister likes to sing with you just about anything. An artist for sure, yet aren't they all? Oh, how the world needs to cultivate such.
Children are such an inspiration, aren't they?
On another note, am on the lookout for more information about mason stains-- any links to recommend? What works well for you with mason stains? Will check out ceramics arts daily. As I just wrote on someone else's blog, the glaze world is definitely a world of its own!
7 comments:
I mix mason stains with slip and that's how I make the drawings on my pots with sgraffito and my painterly designs. I use them just how someone would use an underglaze. I brush the colored slip right on the clay piece just after I make it. I made my slip from the same stoneware clay I use. then I bisque fire the pieces and put a clear glaze over them for the final firing.
Mason stains can be mixed in a clear glaze to make different colors of translucent glazes.
Sweet picture of the kids.they are adorable. I am ready for some kid time. Glazes are an ongoing issue for all of us.
A good source for mason stains is U.S.Pigment, good prices. I use them for terra sig and they make great raku glazes mixed in with a base glaze. You can also use them like water colors, so pretty. Sooo many choices! June Perry is doing some tests right now, check out her blog for some good info.
thanks, all for the wisdom. Will check out June Perry's blog and read up on mason stains some. Gotta figure out if they are food safe--- gosh, it takes a bunch of time to figure this out!
Amy, I was away at a wedding over the weekend, otherwise I would have gotten back sooner. A glaze I read about that I wondered might work for you is this Julia Gallaway glaze- Water Blue. I never tested it myself, though, and I imagine it works best on white clay.
Link to it below.
http://ceramicartsdaily.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Knott_SDn.pdf
About Mason stains- I order through Laguna clay because it is my closest supplier. I've really only used them in a couple of glazes. I added 8 percent robins egg blue to a clear glaze (customer wanted that color). That percentage might be a bit too dense to show your writings. The other one I used is gray green #6523. I added 7 percent of that to the same clear base. I'd say the gray green has a slight bluish tint, but only on a white, or nearly white clay. On tan stoneware it looks drab olive. Bleah. If i remember right, in my last post about bowls, I think the third and fourth pictures are that gray green glaze.
By the way, I was just looking at that Julia Galloway glaze, which is just a clear glaze with colorants, and thought if you already have a clear glaze that you like, you could use her colorant suggestions as a guide to add to it. It's getting late so the obvious is seeping into by brain rather slowly.
Just checked that out, Melissa. Thanks-- I did discover though that the water blue tends to craze and that Pete Pinnell in a clay times magazine online doesn't recommend it as being food safe because of such. the search continues!
Post a Comment