
Busy days! Glazed these this past week. They're now in the gas kiln, cooling down after being fired yesterday.

Two glaze combos. one was blue/green celadon with alfred's blue sprayed on top. That was for bowls that had lettering on them.

It's all a long process; and takes longer every time than I think it will.

All the teabowls have a spotted shino base coat and then accents in wax resist, copper carbonate (this is new for me!) soda ash, and either alfred's blue sprayed on or blue/green celadon or both.

With the lighting, it's hard to see the detail. I did brush some copper carbonate on top of the spotted shino. Shinos always need to be a base coat, I'm told.

Meanwhile in class last week, Adrienne (instructor and director of clayworks) made these teapots. I'm not a fan of teapots, but I do like the one on the left-- the smallest one. Adrienne can make just about anything.

I made these pitchers--- last week during class. While they're far from finished, the're off to a good start.

Kiln loading. 3/4 of the way done. My teabowls and bowls are on the left front stack-- and right front stack. A bottle and a jar too of mine are somewhere too.

Oh, I also sprinkled some wood ash on the shino pieces. It gives this beautiful brown. Oh, there's the simple jar in the back. (Bowl is not mine). Teabowls are.

More teabowls. I prefer the natural brown glaze colors. Am on the verge of new glazes though. Think I'll stay with the same clay body: phoenix.

This sculpture made it into the gas kiln too. It's way back from 2009--- a fundraiser then- called 'All Fired up' created by several studio instructors. Greg glazed it.

This was the kiln, just before the door was closed. Full, but not packed. Will be unloaded on Sunday. Most of my teabowls and bowls can be seen in this pic... all are in the front stack.

Today, I decided to make some small bowls--- different forms. Am wanting to try some new forms. Ended up spending much less time in the studio today because of other things to do. I'm so ready for a whole day uninterrupted, making pottery.

Not sure when that completely free day will come, so until then, I'll make a few pieces here and there. Will trim these tomorrow. Thanks for reading!
2 comments:
You've got some nice pieces there, Amy. Can't wait to see them come out of the kiln. What time did they fire on Thursday? If early, it might be cool enough to open sometime tonight. :)
Shino first or you will be cursed! That's the only way I have ever been able to remember if it goes on first or last. Don't you love a fully packed kiln ready to go :)
Post a Comment