Friday, March 4, 2011

Kiln Opening

Here's pics of the latest kiln opening...
3 pitchers from it...
A bunch of bowls...
Bowls and teabowls-- near some of Becky's birds.
Two pitchers while still in the kiln. (L-R: 1st and third piece)
two teabowls on the top back shelf.... shino glaze with some blue/green celadon as an accent.
there was copper in the kiln atmosphere which made some of the blue/green celadon turn purple. I LIKE this!
The same pieces--- these are in the back right stack. Piece on the right is a new form-- think I'll call it a soup bowl...
the back stack of the kiln.
some teabowls on the bottom of the left stack.... oh, and a frog!
blue/green celadon bowls....
more bowls....
these bowls are among my favorites! that's Greg's teabowl on the left.
bowls towards the top of the kiln. on the left, the bowl has a new design... I may make more of those.
Under those two bowls is one on the left made out of porcelain with the same glaze--- the blue/green celadon. Looks icy white. Wish I liked throwing with porcelain clay--- too slimy and smooth! Doesn't work for me though.
Will post some more close-up pictures of the shino teabowls.
All in all, a wonderful firing! only one bowl warped--- actually the one on the right in this picture above. It quickly turned into a bird bath bowl out on my small patio outside my home.
Decided after this firing to focus more on the shino teabowls... make a bunch of them as I really like the variation in colors due to reduction, glazing, copper in the kiln atmosphere. Plus, using some granulated rutile... soda ash... and wood ash is an added element of mystery and beauty with the shino glazes. :)
Spotted shino pottery, on the way!

2 comments:

Linda Starr said...

Love those shinos and your bowls came out great.

Tracey Broome said...

There is just nothing like opening a kiln to a bunch of new work is there! Beautiful shinos. I'm with you on the porcelain, never have cared for it.