Sunday, June 13, 2010

Raku!

Here are a few pics from the raku firing on Wednesday. Took these with my blackberry--- so they're not the best. Glaze on this bird house is white crackle and superstition. Found out afterwards that those two glazes don't give the best results when used together. The white crackle worked- and well, the superstition didn't give the variation in color.
I'm thinking of making some more raku bird houses although they won't keep the water from seeping in--- well, if bird houses are out in the world on a branch for example, water will come in too. Hmmm
The raku kiln was hot!
Here's the same bird house in the trashcan with burnt newspaper around it.... the top can be barely seen in the middle of the pic.
The pics are out of order-- this is the very hot bird house going into the trash can. Right before it went in, Dorothy sprayed some water on the white crackle--- this helped it to crackle.
The bird house amidst others (in the middle) in the raku kiln.
The raku kiln once opened. Have missed spending alot of time at clayworks recently. Have been working lots. Gotta change that--- at least I have work.

3 comments:

Peter said...

Raku is fascinating, and it all happens so quickly compared to stoneware firings in a big kiln! I don't think the birds will mind too much if a little water seeps in. Those nice houses do give the birds a roof over their heads that they wouldn't otherwise have up in their tree, and I am sure they will enjoy it!
Hope you are able to find some more time to be at clayworks, it certainly is hard fitting everything in sometimes!
Best Wishes, P.

Linda Starr said...

Even though the glaze didn't work the way you wanted, I like the bird house, I think the running glaze is great and the crackle is perfect. I think your choice of making raku birdhouses is a good one. I do love the raku too, wish I could do more of it. I might try to make a raku kiln like the one I saw on Ang's blog, if I can talk Gary into helping me build it.

Tracey Broome said...

The raku kiln at Clayworks has sure come a long way. The very first Raku I ever did was there with Fran Brown with a tiny little kiln that she had built with her husband. that's where I caught the raku bug! Fun times!