Loaded another bisque kiln. Will fire tomorrow. The bowl at the rim has the colors that I'm interested in getting. it was gas fired- cone 10 and I'm on the lookout for celadon type cone 6 glazes. It's been a fun adventure searching for glaze recipes.
Many thanks to Tracey Broome with all with her glazing wisdom. I think I'll be testing 6 or so glazes with all kinds of variations and combinations- with wax resist, black underglaze, etc... the yellowish sheets are the ones I'll use to mark and check off each ingredient as I add it. Will weigh test glazes batches tomorrow outside!
Outside because the less dry glaze dust in my garage/studio, the better. Yesterday I transferred several dry glazes into containers- wonderful containers that my parents brought for me from their business. That along with yogurt ones...
Good thing I eat yogurt for breakfast most mornings. Saving and recycling containers has been a wonderful thing! Here is my stash of most of my dry glaze ingredients, aside from a 50 lb. bag of silica and one of gerstley borate, both under plastic. Good thing too that I love for things to be clean and in order.
These got left behind from the bisque firing, as they aren't fully dry yet. Always another firing.
Began to put black underglaze on some of the words (thinned out a bit from original in Amaco container). Wiped it off with a sponge. It's a fairly detailed, time consuming process yet I really like the finished look. Had one of the most peaceful and best days in awhile yesterday aside from when my parents visited.
So, here's what the top of the bisque kiln looks like. Put in some EPK so it can get calcined and then I'll make kiln wash from it. Have alumina hydrate on hand already. Tomorrow I'll head to Lowe's to get a paint roller and tray for the kiln wash mixture.
Meanwhile, here's dinner. Virtually all of it, except the onions are from my parent's garden. Potatoes and peas are homegrown and the cheese in the creamed onions is from PA- my uncle's business. Good, good food and as is now the custom, eaten on handmade pottery. :) Will try to include a picture of my parent's in my next post. They are simply wonderful. I am so blessed.
5 comments:
My only wisdom comes from being a studio assistant at three studios and mixing glazes ALL the time! I still have Sooooo much to learn..... it never ends! Good luck, fingers crossed for great results and if not, just remember you learned something :)
ah, so sweet you are close with your family.
Best on the test what is your firing range? I found that I fire more of a 5 than a 6 with my tiles.
Thanks for your comments!
tracey- hope you read my next post--- with my scale
question- help!
cookingwithgas- Not sure yet about my firing range. I'll ask my good friend about what she recommends- 5 or 6. Good to know about what works for you.
Geez--- Meredith, knew that was you! Sorry- long day!
Wish I could come join you for dinner! Aren't dad's potatoes delicious? Today I made a greek/tzaziki-themed potato salad with them.
Your studio is looking good. You have quite the system figured out - impressive!
Post a Comment