One thing I really need to learn is how to mix and measure glazes. Here's an example of a cone 10 Copper Red glaze I used in WA. I'll be using only cone 6 glazes in the near future as a gas kiln is nowhere near for me to use.
Here's how the copper red turned out. Gorgeous! that white- that is where another glaze was poured on top. I am using the copper red as an example- I didn't measure this one. If you need a copper red recipe, I recommend this one.
Another view of the copper red-- it's just gorgeous! Any wisdom in computing glazes and measuring them? I have the tools-- just needing the 'know-how'. Off to search the internet for answers to the 'how to'. Chemistry was never my strong suit...
Thanks for the comments and care.
3 comments:
Great red, Ron Roy's book is a good one to use as a starting off point for glazes, Mastering Cone 6 glazes and also John Britt has a good book on glazes.
If you can bake a cake you can mix a glaze. Just follow the recipe! One hint if you don't know already. As you add each ingredient to the bucket, write it down, that way if you get distracted you will know what the last thing was you tossed in the bucket. It is so easy to forget what you just added and there is no fixing that!
I add dry ingredients to the water, some pour the water in the dry, but you get less dust if you add dry to wet.
It's not difficult, just do things methodically and all will be fine! I also sieve my glaze bucket every time I use the glaze, makes a big difference. These may be things you already know, but they were helpful hints for me when I first started making glazes and things I didn't know :)
thanks to you both! tracey--- I think I need more help with measuring the dry glazes... I'm off to read on the internet about that- and the conversions (if any) needed for that. thanks for the wisdom!
Post a Comment