Monday, March 19, 2012

Teabowl Writing


Decided to go back to the writing thing on tea bowls and bowls-- at least for a bit.  This is the first tea bowl with writing on it.  I love these words from the Book of Common Prayer-- the Episcopal prayer book, as it's called.

"O God of peace, who hast taught us that in returning and rest we shall be saved, in quietness and in confidence shall be our strength:  By the might of thy Spirit lift us, we pray thee, to thy presence, where we may be still and know that thou art God; through Jesus Christ our Lord."  (pg. 832).

In a busy, sometimes chaotic world, it is easy to forget to stop.  Saying this to myself helps me, even when the expectations are different out there.  After all, there's only one me (and there's only one you, who is reading this).  Gotta be who you are.  Anyways, in time after this dries and is bisque fired, I'll put some black mason stain on it-- and do some experimenting with glazes to find one that is transparent and blue-ish, maybe?

It's so good to be 'in' the clay a bit.  And, turns out that the scale I got is missing two small pieces, so I'll go exchange it for another one next time I'm in Raleigh. I had opened it to assemble it today and discovered all that.  At another point in time, this would've bothered me.  Perspective is important; patience too.  All will be well, I tell myself.
Put this on the bottom of the tea bowl.  Think I may add the page number where it's found.  Hmmm
Meanwhile, I planted these seeds below in this dirt and set them out on the screened porch.  My mom says they are hyacinth bean seeds, and she's one to know this kind of thing.  Time will see how they do.  I got these seeds from a plant in Old Salem (Tracey!) last October.  Loved the purple in it and saw these in pods and so they've found a new home.  Hopefully, they'll sprout and grow well!  :) 
 I'll try to remember to keep you posted.  Thanks for the encouragement, words of wisdom, and all.  It's so good to be back in the pottery blogging world.

No comments: