My kiln shelf seems to be full these days. Bowls and pitchers, mainly.
This is a new style of pitcher. Still needs a handle. I like it. Thanks, Adrienne! (Instructor)She challenged me to try a new form, which I now really like. Will make more of these.
Kiln was unloaded on Monday. Results for me were a bit disappointing. The alfred's blue glaze was too thick, plus the kiln was fired a bit hot, resulting in different colors. The blue/green celadon turned almost clear instead of the bluish hue. I have to re-do a couple orders of commissioned pieces. Oh well.... I'll make sure the alfred's blue is thinner, despite what the hydrometer says and will not pour it on top of the celadon. Instead, brush it on sparingly. Wish there wasn't disappointment in the pottery world. This too shall pass. I finished my time at the studio by throwing four big bowls in a short amount of time. :)
That's one of my blue bowls.... it has some writing etched in it. Beautiful dark blue. Becky's birds seemed to do well, no matter where they were put in the kiln.
I did try this new glaze combo. The yunomi (cup on the right) is glazed with spotted shino and then some blue/green celadon poured on top. Also sprinkled a bit of wood ash on the outside. REALLY liked the results. I see a switch in glazes back to the shinos. More pics to come. Time in the studio tomorrow, finishing the pitchers and etching on some bowls. Can hardly wait!
2 comments:
That's a nice pitcher I can't wait to see the handle
Lovely to catch up with what you are up to. Happy New Year to you! (I know it is late, but January has not quite all gone!). Amazed by your snow photos a few posts back, really beautiful... but very cold.
Glazing can be very frustrating sometimes, and it must be difficult when you share a kiln and someone else controls the temperature! My most recent crystalline firing was a complete mess, with only two large pieces in the kiln, and both no good at all. We should welcome "disasters" though.... It is good what lessons there are to learn when things don't turn out. A pot that collapses, clay that cracks, a glaze that is too thick, too thin, or too runny... all teach us far more about the limits of the materials than we learn if we play safe. Over firing a glaze will show you what that glaze will do when taken higher... it may not suit the pot that was in that firing, but there may be something in the future that a very shiny runny glaze may be ideal for.
Anyway, I do send my sympathies though, in spite of all my brave talk!! It does hurt and frustrate when things go wrong, and I wish you the very best of firings next time! P xx
Post a Comment