
This is a raku picture... late in the evening, but first Saturday was full of saggar firings. It was a good, full day.

Yes.... birds and a sculpture are in this firing. Some raku... some saggar.

Becky's birds are absolutely gorgeous!

Here some are as they are cooling down......

Rich colors...

A variation of colors. I forget what she wrapped up the birds in for the saggar... Becky, if you read this, will you post some of the saggar ingredients in the comment section?

Here's some before they went into the kiln...

Becky and Cindy made some horsehair pieces. Here they're putting horsehair onto the very hot birds and cats. They discovered that there was a short window of time when the horsehair would burn onto the pieces.

Putting the pieces on a bit of sawdust creates black on them too...

Here Minke's woman sculpture is cooling down after a saggar firing.

Throughout all this time I glazed some yunomis. I later changed some of these glazes, but most of them ended up with a spotted shino base and catherine's oribe accents on the outside and a little wax resist too.

I ended up putting one piece into the raku kiln.... a goblet/chalice on the left.

As usual, John was great about helping to monitor how the raku kiln was doing. He knows tons more about raku firing than I do.

The pieces fired up to 1800 degrees and I waited a few seconds before I removed it. Heard that with the glazes I put on, this would be a good idea.

The glazes I put on it were white crackle and flaming moondrops on the top rim and the bottom as an accent.

After time in the kiln, I put the goblet/chalice in a bucket to sit on a brick and cool while newspaper around it lit up. I put a lid on the bucket and then burped it to let some oxygen in.

The finished goblet/chalice. The crackle was achieved by John blowing on it.... I had no idea about this! The flaming moondrop glaze gave an interesting effect.... almost as if small pebbles were glued onto it. This one might go back into the next raku kiln with a bit more glaze on it.
4 comments:
omigosh, I am going to a raku party next week (my first since 1986) and I am so excited! What a great bunch of pots and pics here, and that is JBF right? :)
yes, that is the famous JBF.
Or infamous...
Amy-
Great pictures! It was a lot of fun as usual.
Gary-
1986!? Get back on that raku horse!
I love the moon drops goblet and what a great name for the glaze too, that looks like so much fun sharing all your work with everyone else there. I hope to get to do raku one of these days and some horesehair too.
Post a Comment