Monday, August 3, 2009

A Closer Look

Here's a closer look at the pots that came out of the kiln yesterday. :) Above is one of my favorites, with some sangria inside and two indentations for easy holding. I'm so pleased!
I'll be making more bowls in the days to come. All of these have spotted shino glaze as a base and then they are sprinkled with soda ash (inside center of this one) and/or granulated rutile.
On the outer side of the bowl, I put some wax resist... before the glaze. I like the simple effect.
Here are the six yunomis that emerged from the kiln. For now, I like the difference in the ones without the alfred's blue glaze on the rim.
Simple is good! There are three...
And three more. On the one in the center, the granulated rutile is easy to see. Good iron spots from the spotted shino glaze. Good reduction in all.
Most of the yunomis have this blue glaze on the inside bottom.
Some of these quickly became favorites... so they'll remain mine at least for now. :) If interested in any, just be in touch.
Another jar! I like the iance in the color-- especially with the white on it, due to some thicker shino. I also sprinkled some soda ash and granulated shino at the same place-- and the result is a bluish kind of crystalline look. I will do more of this... :)
Same jar; other side. The white is from rick's shino glaze being poured onto the jar. Once again, the 'dot' is the combination of granulated rutile and soda ash put over wet shino glaze.
This is my first communion set/chalice and paten. I have another set that I'll glaze for the next firing. It just has soda ash on it as an accent and no granulated rutile.
What fun this is!

4 comments:

Linda Starr said...

You are definitely the shino queen, all those are spectacular.

Jerry said...

They look great, especially that jar. I miss working with shino, it is such a nice glaze.

Terry Shipley said...

Your firing looks great. You've been so busy. I really enjoyed seeing all of the glaze variations you're working with!

gary rith said...

you pots look fantastic!