
First, my abuelos. My grandparents. Of course, pictures can never capture it all. How I love them! They are among my most favorite people on this earth.
.jpg)
My nieces, Marisol and Carolina. I remember holding them when they were babies. They are the daughters of one of my cousins, Luci. They remind me of God's joy.

My abuelos are Aymaran people. They grew up on the Altiplano, which is on the shores of Lake Titicaca, just outside La Paz, Bolivia, at an elevation of 12,500 feet. Their first language was Aymara which has this beautiful rhythm to it and lots of consonants! This means I am Aymaran also. They have taught me more than I can say. I miss them more than I can say.

I will never forget these girls and my family in Bolivia. How I wish they all were closer! Marisol is 11. Carolina is 10.

Here is my abuelo with my tio Enrique. Bolivians don't tend to smile for pictures, but abuelo was happy when he was talking with Tio Enrique in Aymara.

Marisol knew I am a potter and showed me this piece of pottery she made in school. It's a replica of an Incan piece as she is learning about her heritage and the indigenous people groups in Bolivia. More pictures later. This is a good start. Thankfully, God too remains there with them. Such holy days there.
1 comment:
Hi Amy, those are beautiful photos of your family and really interesting to find out about where your people are from. Lake Titicaca sounds an amazing place. It must take a while for visitors to acclimatise to the high altitude.
I was looking back at the post before with your work with the shino glazes. I do like the way you have used the granulated rutile and the soda ash. There is a hand built cup (that is in the third photo from the last) that I really love.
Sorry that there have been no comments from me for a while, things have been very busy here so I haven't kept up with as many people's blogs as I normally do. It sounds like your life is very full too. Interested too to read that you are a Priest in Charlotte.
Best Wishes to you,
Post a Comment