Sunday, May 10, 2009

Pottery from South of the Equator

I'm visiting my parents in PA for the weekend. Two of my three siblings are here too. While here, I discovered that my Dad and Mom had these two pieces; both are from Bolivia and I'm part-Bolivian (Dad is from Bolivia) so I was excited to see these. I really like the design on them; the design of the one on the left is like one of my pieces I had made with a similar wax resist design that's at the top of this blog. How beautiful!
They're so thin and the glaze is all over the pot... and the foot is indented on the pot. Hard to see from the pics. Handles are small too.
This handmade piece is from a restaurant in Cuzco, Peru. It has the customary (not sure which animal) design as the mug handles and has a very thin glaze on it. Simple and beautiful. Very typical Peru/Bolivia. Got it in Peru while on a family trip there.
A closeup look at the handle.
Yesterday, on the way here, I stopped at one of my Aunt's houses for a baby shower for one of my cousins. Went to another Aunt's house too and saw the beautiful stained glass that she makes. She's an artist too! This is above one of the doorways in her home.
This is a gorgeous Bolivian ahuayo blanket that she has in her family's kitchen. Her family lived for many years in Arizona; this fits right in with that motif in her beautiful home.
And, as my Dad, Mom, sister and I were talking about pottery, my Dad got out this 'bad day mug' that he purchased at a festival here in Lancaster, PA. It is well made; and is definitely a joke, all in one. I like the glaze though and the rim and writing at the top. Writing says 'bad day mug'.
It definitely has not been a bad day today. Definitely the opposite. Received a gift too from my Dad and he helped me with a big project. Will say more about that tomorrow. It was great to be with my mom on Mother's Day. More pics tomorrow too.

2 comments:

Linda Starr said...

Ceramics is such a universal art; one of the reasons I like it.

doug Fitch said...

I really like those cups a lot, their sophistication is their simplicity if that makes sense