Wednesday, February 4, 2009

As If It Was Christmas All Over Again

Opening a kiln after a firing is like opening Christmas gifts. Yesterday, Julie and I unloaded the kiln, full of many treasures. Above is what it looked like when it was opened.
Here's the back half of the kiln, after we unloaded the first two shelves.
These six (two on each shelf) are mine. :) Overall, I was so pleased with the colors...
Here are some of them, (many with gustin shino on the inside) from the top looking down. I put dots on the inside of some; overall, rich colors.
Above are four very different ones. I'm still trying to find my particular style and shape that I really like. Maybe I'll always make eclectic ones like these!
Eighteen cups came out in all for me. All had some shino glaze (spotted, gustin or rick's) somewhere on them... I really like the colors on these four. The one on the left had glaze only on the inside, with some design on the outside. Notice the finger marks on the one in the middle; (that was intentional).
This one shows some variation in the glazes; the ones in the back are dipped in spotted shino, and sprinkled with soda ash. The ones in the front only have glaze on the inside. The one on the left is the one on the top top shelf of the kiln in the first pic.
All of these were made with zella stone clay.
Many of these will soon be on etsy. :)
The evening was simply wonderful... to begin, Becky and I decided to have some wine...why? well, just because. Hers was in a tumbler she got from Greg and mine in a new wine cup, just fresh out of the kiln. (That was part of the reason why).
Becky showed me some of her cave art. A bit hard to see; turtle on left; rhino on right. Bad pic. Her birds and mug fared quite well in the kiln.
And then I spent the rest of the evening glazing 18 pots.... Yes 18. All are earthen red cone 5 clay and then dipped in creme glaze. For this slipware class, we're using mainly these three glazes below shown on the test tiles.
Slipware Cone 5 glazes: (L-R) Ron's creme; Ron's green, and Ron's amber.
The creme glaze was put on most; it is not easy to dip the pots into the glaze. This is the clear glaze; it has some iron in it, evidently. I almost dropped some pots into the glaze.It's harder than it looks...
By the night's end, I ended up glazing some with tahitian and adding Ron's green and tahitian as dots to the pots that were dipped into Ron's creme.
I also acquired this pot. Ron made it as a demo in our class. It's simply gorgeous.
As I drove north on the way home, it began to snow hard! The snowflakes were so big; these snowflakes fell quickly on my car when I arrived at home. How beautiful!
Will post some more pics later of closeups of the new pots. Yes, it was a Christmas-like kinda evening.

1 comment:

RevMomVt said...

Loved seeing all coming out of the kiln. Design suggestion: a labyrinth...kind of tough I know but could be a signature piece!

Thanks for posting!

Carole w