Friday, January 23, 2009

Slipware and Brushes

It was fun last night to gather with friends at Clayworks and catch up a bit. The company was great. I trimmed some bowls and then added slip to a bunch of bowls.
I've discovered that making things the same size is much easier said than done. I have lots of improving to do in that area.
Here's a side view of the bowls: 2 views... these are made out of earthen red clay and will be bisqued at cone 5, I think.
I'm busy trying out different slipware techniques and working on applying it. Lots to consider. As a child, I liked helping my mom in the kitchen (she's an incredible cook) and at times she made and decorated wedding cakes for some extra income. So, I got to try to the cake decorating tools and putting slipware on has some parallels to that whole process.
These are very helpful in applying slip. I've also been reading Ceramics Monthly magazines recently. I found this tea ceremony bowl that I really like. The texture of the white slip and how it was applied is what first caught my eye. It's Japanese, made by Shimaoka.
John and Joe were making 'big' things too. Somehow, they are conspicuously gone during this pic... John's work is on the left; Joe's on the left. Eclectic music was in the background.
Towards the end of the evening, after Greg's class was over, I noticed the assortment of brushes that he had. Gosh....what a bunch! Then he explained... from hose hair, dog, (yes, dog), ox, (I think) and various other animals which I've forgotten. I wish I had taken notes. Here's a close-up of them as his class will be making them next week. Dad, what about Jake contributing some hair? (Jake is a chocolate brown lab). Handmade of course. A great night in all. How I love being with my pottery friends and playing in the clay... Now I just need to work on developing my own personal style of design on pots.... Hmmm

No comments: