Pottery.
Every night, I make a decision.
Which piece of pottery to use to drink a glass of red wine.
As I get better at pottery, the choice becomes more difficult.
Tonight it was this one. A good choice I must say.

Pachamama (front and then back view)
I have this Pachamama sitting in a prominent place in my home.It's straight from Bolivia.
My abuela (grandmother), an Aymara Indian, has told me stories about Pachamama.
She cannot read or write; yet she is an amazing storyteller.
Pachamama is an Aymara word meaning goddess, (Mother Earth) worshipped by Bolivians and other indigenous people in the Andes Mts.
She presides over planting and harvesting. It's always good on certain days to travel to a high place where one lives (the top of a mountain, for example) and give gifts to Pachamama in hopes of a good harvest, which at times meant life or death for those in the village.
I bought this Pachamama in Cochabamba, Bolivia in one of the downtown outdoor markets after hearing stories from my abuela.
Abuela laughed and laughed when I showed it to her. She was so proud.
Three is a divine number; even Pachamama has three separate Persons. There's also a turtle for good luck and a serpent. (Serpent is on the second pic on the bottom right; a bit hard to see).
I miss my abuela's stories and love her wildly. I hope everyone has grandparents such as she and my abuelo.
And this is a sign that God is watching over me.
Potatoes
Last weekend, my father gave me these potatoes before I left. The more I think about it, the more I'm mindful that this is what Bolivian people do.When you gather with loved ones, you bring something to the gathering. When you leave you often leave with something they give you for the journey back.
Potatoes are the perfect gift. :)
These are a Peruvian kind, homegrown by my father, which make them even more delicious.
Maybe I like potatoes so much because I'm Bolivian...
Any ideas for potato recipes?
1 comment:
Hi Amy, I just like my potatoes baked, but I confess I also like sour cream and chives on them too. I'll bet those are tasty being home grown. What beautiful stories about the Pachamama and the potatoes. I love your wine cups.
Post a Comment