Sunday, September 7, 2008

One New Wish

Yesterday as I walked around and admired the pieces at the fourth annual Potters Market featuring 40 NC potters, I decided that I wish I could make a living as a potter. Of course, I have so much more to learn, but I love being in the pottery world. My eyes were especially drawn to the wood fired pieces and I learned some new glazing techniques too. Can you imagine watching a wood kiln for 55 hours? The results are so worthwhile. Such a natural, earthy look. Learning from the potters gave me some new ideas for barrel firing too. It was all so inspiring and it was fun to be with there with Minka and see a bunch of others from the Clayworks studio. I'm still not sure how I left without buying anything. Hmmm

Also went to the the Greek Festival in Charlotte this weekend- how I wish I was at least part Greek. For starters, spanikopita is my favorite greek food. And, the church was gorgeous; I really liked the icons. Here are two pics I took inside the Greek Orthodox Church.

Jesus' baptism by John the Baptist.

This photo isn't as good, yet this is the resurrection. So much detail in each of these that were on the church walls along with many others.

Then I finally got back to playing with clay and sat at the wheel after about a week away. Didn't know what (if anything) would happen. This is what emerged. :)

Don't know why this pic looks a bit crooked yet these forrms were really encouraging! I'm so ready for my class to start on Tuesdays. I still wonder what it would be like to do this every day... every day. Finally, here is one of my ongoing favorites. I think more of this form are on the way too. Tumblers seem to be my focus these days; I need to practice making bowls more and more.

What fun this is!

No comments: