Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Closer to the Equator

Just returned from traveling with a group of 16 youth and adults from my church to Costa Rica for a week. During our trip, we just ‘happened’ to visit a potter--- that encounter somehow worked its way into our itinerary, and it was a joy to watch him shape the Costa Rican earth into forms. I bought one of the blue crosses—the blue seems to be my favorite glaze color. The youth were amazed, and I was too--- as they can be seen looking at his wheel from all sides. What a crowd crammed smugly into his tiny studio. Evidently, he learned from a north American potter too!



Time with the children was a highlight… yet I wanted to take them all to Target (although there was no Target) and buy them clean clothes that fit. Yet, they had such a joy about life—and we learned so much from them and their families and their strong, deep faith and boundless generosity and love. The team loved their time there so much that some didn’t want to return.


The flowers were gorgeous; here's one that was growing outside the church where we were sleeping and working. I tried to capture them on camera as much as I could.

One of the best parts for me was time with Maureen, a teenager that I brought to the US as part of an exchange program while at my former church. Hadn’t seen her in two years; it was a joy to share dinner with her and her boyfriend, Jose. She’s had a tough life; her courage and sweet spirit inspire me. How I wish things were different for her. Here’s the three of us.

Also went zip lining in the rainforest canopy (picture hopefully to post soon) and white water rafting! It was a great trip--- incredibly exhausting and it is refreshing to be back where there is less humidity. My clothes don’t feel wet or damp anymore and I don’t have a layer of bug repellant on my skin.

I read The Shack book by William Young during the trip. It was one of the best books I’ve ever read. I recommend it highly. It reminded me, amidst other things that life is hard, yet God is good. If I could give five books to everyone, it would be one of the five. A must read.




Finally, here's a group pic in front of a beautiful painted mural that includes some of the flowers and animals found in Costa Rica. Several in our group are wondering when we'll return. It was a privilege to be a part.

1 comment:

Becky said...

It looks like you had a wonderful time in Costa Rica, Amy & it was great to share some time with you at the glazing table on Tuesday.

Off again today? You must have wings on your feet!