Saturday, July 5, 2008

Keeping at it....


Well, glazing still remains my least favorite part of this whole process. Some tumblers (white ones on the left) that I liked before they went into the kiln became my least favorite when they were finished. So, I'm taking a break from using the yanagahara (white matte) glaze... because even though I dip the piece quickly into it, the result is a thick coat... that sometimes sticks to the kiln shelf which is NOT good. Oh well- Frustrating. The alfred's blue glaze seems to work the best for me. My favorite of these 10 is on the left is the one with blueish hue and a different form (one of the ones in the center).

Today I also threw a few pieces that I really like. Am trying some new forms-- this is quite an adventure! Now, it's the time to give out many of what I made. Looks like a few pieces will be ready for the barrel firing this next Saturday. :)

1 comment:

Becky said...

That ^10 glazing can be tricky and I've had trouble with yanagahara too. I've actually had more trouble with Alfred's. Let me know when you'll be glazing again & I'll let you borrow the hydrometer that Susan & I use. It helps a lot!

Nonetheless, I think you have quite a fine batch of vessels there. Many beautiful glaze combos.

One of the things I like about barrel firing is -- guess what -- NO GLAZE! We'll have fun Saturday! Glad you're aboard!