The very good news is that this is my first birdbath and I absolutely love it. Made it from a plaster mold and for glazes, used several test glazes plus some glass. Below is the 'before' pic.
I'll definitely make more of these; maybe the next ones will have holes so they can be hung more easily? Went to Lowe's to look for a metal plant stand. Still on the lookout for one I like. These are part of 8 teabowls for a commission. Will trim and then etch words onto them.
Am experimenting with vase forms. this hardly looks like a vase, but it's a step in the right direction. Need to find a form where I can etch words on the outside.
Back to the birdbath- I used these glass pebbles and crushed them with a hammer-- all while wearing goggles of course. Then put some over the glaze--- the effect is wonderful!
Here's the glaze question- the bowl on the right was glazed cone 6--- slow speed. The one on the left (handheld pot made at a workshop I led recently) was fired to cone 5, medium speed (electric kiln; oxidation) and doesn't seem to have as much of the transparentness (is that a word) like the one on the right. Could it be the change in temp? Don't want to glaze and fire a whole kilnload of pottery at cone 5 and then have them ruined? Any wisdom, please?? Don't think I've fired this celadon glaze to cone 5 before... May need to do a test firing with this same glaze and the words under the glaze after all.
thanks for reading and for all your comments. The pottery world is a particularly wonderful gift these days!
7 comments:
You could always make a base for a birdbath. I've done a few, but most of the time they get put on a deck rail so I don't worry about it.
The glaze on the bowl on the left looks more mature, but I know very little about medium range glazes. Ah glazes!
I thought the crushed glass in your birdbaths was a nice touch.
I can't say anything for sure about your glaze situation. Did you use cones to determine cone 5? I know the kiln manual has some information about how the speed of firing affects the temperature where the cone falls.
Melissa- I just think the glaze didn't mature as I fired to cone 5 instead of the usual cone 6. i didn't use cone packs; the problem wasn't the correct firing temp--- it was whether how the glaze reacted at the temp.
Your bird bath with glass turned out super, what firing program did you use, any slow cool down? I try to use cone packs on at least two of my three shelves every time I fire, then I can adjust any hold up or down to determine if a small change makes a difference in how the glaze melts.
Hi Amy,
That is a lovely birdbath, I think that they should enjoy splashing around with all that beautiful colour around them! The crushed glass has worked really well, what a great idea.
Regarding glazes.... I would expect that the same glaze fired to a higher cone is likely to be more translucent. Also the length of time taken to do the firing can make a difference. Time can help glaze materials break down, dissolve, and go into a glassy state. Also more time allows a greater bond to develop between the glaze and the body of the pot.
I remember trying to overcome crazing in a glaze. Firing it slower to the same cone definitely improved the glaze fit, I suspect because the bond between the glaze and the body of the pot was superior. Interesting isn't it!!
Happy Easter, Pxx
thanks a bunch, Peter. Your glaze wisdom is so helpful. Happy Easter to you on the other side of the world!
Linda- Hi! I have a Skutt 1027 KM and I program it- regular cool down- hmmm may check into that. cone packs too. have used those a couple times which showed it got to the cone desired. maybe will look into using them more often. thanks!
Post a Comment