Here's one of my latest forms- perhaps my next vase form?
Somedays I'm just amazed--- amazed at how I can do all this! I never considered myself an artist as a child. Now I tell children that all of them are artists- for I believe that; it's just what kind of artist they are.
This is one of my favorite forms to make. More of this kind of bowls to come! I'm amazed at how it gets easier to make bowls- and how they are formed faster as I make more and more of them. Sure, one of my teachers used to tell me that; it just takes awhile to believe it!And now sales---
I'd much rather be in the studio making pottery then selling it. I must admit it's a bit awkward selling what you love to do. The reality is that I don't do this for the sales; I do this because I love making pottery.
I've found Square (squareup.com) to be the EASIEST and best way to take credit card sales. My brother was a great help in getting it started; he's wonderful! I mean if I can use it, it is great! (I'm technologically challenged at times). It is actually so simple to use. I recently sold a bunch of bowls at an Episcopal convention; it was the EASIEST sale I've ever done- and well, as you can see, my display was so simple. Customers loved how and it's free to register! Find out more at squareup.com. Above is the one picture I have from it and interestingly, almost half of my sales were via credit card.
Here's my reluctance about shows: they're time consuming and usually alot of work. This one was the exception! I only need to buy some more tissue paper for the next one.
Am working on re-creating my etsy page and a facebook page. Instead of doing sales at shows, I think most of my sales will be online to friends and family.
Question: What tips do you have for selling your pottery? What works well and what have you learned doesn't?

3 comments:
Love the photo of you in your booth! I don't think there is a set formula that works for selling, what works for me at one show is a total failure at another. If you figure out the selling thing, do let me know! I like the way you are finding interesting and alternative ways to sell what you make though.
Nice picture. Those chunks of wood work well to give your pots different heights. I'm still trying to figure out the selling thing. This year I think I'm going to have to get into taking credit cards. I know I lost sales last year by not accepting them. Thanks for the info on that.
thanks, Tracey! I am so hesitant to do shows--- and now understand why. They just take so much time; I think listening to one's instinct and gut feeling about this is best and I think artists can do that well. Melissa--- thanks- square is the BEST! It makes credit card sales SO easy. Heard Starbucks uses it. Hope you try it. You have nothing to lose! Easy to plug into an iphone.
Post a Comment