Monday, December 31, 2012

Drying Question and Happy New Year!

 I'm in the waiting mode.  These bowls below need to dry as quick as possible.  I leave the country for Bolivia next week--- to visit my father's extended family and ideally, I'd love to get them bisque fired and glazed before I leave.  Any ideas as to how to 'help' bowls dry well--- and not crack, etc.?
To help a bit, I have a small space heater that is on and blowing warm air in the direction of the bowls.   I know, pottery is not meant to be rushed... 
In the meantime, I bought a jambox smartspeaker with a bestbuy gift card I had.  It's great although it does cut off at times and at other times is hard to connect!  Technology... ugh!    Looks like it has challenges in connecting with a Mac computer but I think I've figured it out.  Any advice on how to keep it connecting?  (I've gone online to the website and gone through the troubleshooting advice).

Happy New Year!  I'm bringing in 2013 with a glass of wine and season 2 episodes of Downton Abbey.  Waiting patiently for Season 3!

4 comments:

New Leaf said...

If you have the heater blowing right at the pots, they will dry faster on that side and that could cause problems. If it's just warming the room and circulating the air, they'll probably be fine. Feel kinda funny answering the question as I'm a sixty-mumble-something who is pretty new to pottery but has learned some lessons the heart-breaking way.

Cat's Ceramics said...

Happy New Year to you too Amy!!! A way I often dry pots if I'm in a hurry is in the oven (the one in the kitchen ;)on a really low heat for a couple of hours. Make sure the pots are pass the leather hard stage and open and close the door from time to time to allow the moisture to escape. I've never found a problem with any of the finished pots dried in this way. All the Best x Cat x

Gary's third pottery blog said...

I use a fan, set items directly onto a warming or cooling kiln, or my kick ass heat vent works best :) I use miller-laguna 55 a white stoneware and it can handle it! Then a super slow warm up for bisque, HUZZAH!

Linda Starr said...

I remember Peter did a post where he used a microwave to dry his pots and was successful. the oven drying seems like a good suggestion to me. I have never had good results with a direct fan as it seemed to make my pots crack. happy new year hope you get your pots ready for your trip.