Monday, September 17, 2012

Blue/Green Test Glazes and Kiln Wash Recipe

 This afternoon I made about 15 test tiles.  The three on the right in this picture need to be coated, but the other 15 are set.  So, 18 in all with combos from 8 different blue/green celadon like glazes.  Some are transparent, some not.  Am really interested in how all this turns out.  Really like the floating blue glaze and the Leah Leitson chun celadon glaze.  Time will tell which one I use in a bunch of bowls and teabowls that are waiting to wear glaze.   Most of all, am looking for a celadon that is transparent so the writing on my bowls will show up.
I'll be doing the test glaze firing this weekend.  I also mixed some kiln wash today.  Here's the recipe I used, which I got from John Britt, found online.

50% alumina hydrate
25% EPK (calcined)
25% EPK
Additive:
1-2 %  G-200 Feldspar.   (I used 1.5% this time).

Will any test glaze firing wisdom?  I'm all for learning from your pottery experience.
Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

Linda Starr said...

Can't wait to see your results, good luck with the firing.

Melissa Rohrer said...

What do you think of this glaze on the french butter crock for a transparent celadon- http://melissarohrer-acornpottery.blogspot.com/2012/09/getting-ready-for-harvest-moon.html
That is a transparent base with 7 percent 6523 stain from Laguna added.
You could fool around with different stains and different percentages of stains to get the color and transparency you want.
That glaze I use contains gerstley borate, so eventually I'd like to switch to another base. May test the one in Mastering Cone 6.
Let me know if you want the recipe though.

Amy said...

Melissa- sure, am interested in the recipe. I wonder how it would look on a darker clay- a grayish one. Currently, I use starrwhite 6 clay. Great to hear from you! is there something about gerstley borate that you don't like? amyhuacanipottery@gmail.com is my email.

Amy said...

melissa, thanks! I liked that glaze- thanks; wanted to try it, except I don't have that numbered stain from laguna and well, I haven't seen Laguna products at any of the clay places i shop at. Still may use the glaze on another test firing with another colorant. Oh, and I asked my friend who is the director of a clay studio about the gerstley borate, and she said she never heard of that and that they continue to use gerstley borate in many of their glazes. hope you get this!

Linda, thanks! wish you were closer. would be fun to see you!