Will unload the bisque kiln tomorrow. It's cooled and all looks well. Made this lime meringue pie from scratch (except for the graham cracker crust which is all natural too) tonight. Recipe is from my mom, who is the best cook I know. Here it is, pre-under the broiler.
Didn't have lemons, so I used limes.
I was lucky that I even got to clean the mixing bowls. Yum!
Even used this old mixer that my mom used when I was a child. I remember it. It's still working- and I'm 35 + years old. :) I grew up eating this pie. Some years asked for it for my birthday instead of cakes. It's better!
Am already wondering why I don't make this more often! Now, I will. No, it's not burnt; just put under the broiler for a second too long!
Thanks for the recipe, Mom. Will have pie for breakfast!
Mom's Lemon/Lime Meringue Pie
Filling:
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 1/2 cup water
3 egg yolks
3 Tbsps butter or margarine
1/3 cup lemon or lime juice
1 Tbsp grated lemon/lime rind
Mix sugar and cornstarch in pan
Add water and stir til smooth.
Boil for 1 minute while stirring.
Slowly stir half hot mixture into beaten egg yolks.
Put egg yolk mixture back into pan
Cook 1 minute more (stir!)
Take off heat (stir)
Blend in butter/margarine mixture and lemon/lime juice and grated rind
Pour into pie shell.
Meringue:
3 egg whites
4 Tbsps. sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
Add cream of tartar to egg whites and beat by hand.
Add sugar to egg mixture and beat by hand.
Beat with a mixer until the meringue is stiff.
Be careful to not beat too long!
Put over the filling in the pie shell.
Place under the broiler and watch CLOSELY! It will brown quickly....
Chill.
3 comments:
one day I am coming over and you and i will eat this pie!
Anything with lemons and/or limes is food of the gods in my book. My mother used to make lemon meringue pies often. My sister used to ask for them instead of birthday cake. All this leads up to your recipe making me realize how easy this is. Oh for the yum!
Meredith- sounds great! would love for you to visit. or maybe better yet, I could make it and bring it there?
smartcat- I too was amazed at how easy this is. It just takes time.
Thanks for the comments!
Post a Comment