Friday, July 13, 2012

First Kiln Loading- and NPR

 First kiln load- this was the bottom stack.  Blue t-shirt is a tip someone gave me.  It to help protect the kiln bricks during the loading.  Plus, it's an old tennessee lady vols t-shirt.   Good luck charm.  One of my favorite teams!   (those are test tiles that were extruded).
I took my time in this.  I probably didn't load the kiln as tight as I could. I also heard that it's best to not stack the firings- even the bisque ones too much.  The more air between the pieces, the better.  What's your insight in this?
 I also listened to NPR- some Krista Tippett podcasts.  I'm thinking this will become a tradition.  Helped me to keep a slow, steady pace.  Also wore a dust mask as I 'sanded' the pieces with this sponge; this kind has two textures-- one soft and another a bit rougher--- to ensure that the bowls were smooth.  Especially with the wording, this step, while a bit monotonous, makes a big difference in the finished piece.
 Okay, here's another question.  The skutt manual says to leave 2 inches all around thermocouple--- that is ALOT of space!  Hard to plan around.  I still did it. I'm guessing this is just well, helpful overall.  Any insight?
In all this, I was struck by how long this all took.  Making pottery is not to be rushed.  There was this great rhythm in it all, that I loved.  Putting puzzles together was fun for me as a kid and that has served me well; it is a puzzle to load kilns!
 That different piece is by the Dalton's.  Am bisque firing it for them... Good air flow in this kiln loading.  Bisque firing this weekend!
Dinner was tuna salad.  Saw the ad that tuna was on sale and haven't eaten it in months, yet it sounded so good.  Excellent protein; two eggs, a can of tuna salad, and tomatoes with mayo.  Don't eat meat much, so this was definitely a match!  Kiln loading advice, please to this new kiln owner!  

3 comments:

Linda Starr said...

I never stack my bisque, but I think slab built has tendency to warp more than thrown work. In the past at a private workshop I had cracking and warping with stacked work. Are those plate stackers in the first photo on the plates?

Tracey Broome said...

Amy, it's your kiln and through trial and unfortunately error and some instinct, you will learn how best to stack your kiln. When I worked at Claymakers as a studio assistant, it was almost a game to see how packed we could get the kiln. We had lots of student work to move through and had to load as much as possible. It didn't seem to matter how tight it was loaded and we never lost any pieces as long as we candled properly (there we candled 6-8 hours), I candle for 3 but I know my work is dry when I put it in. When I taught at the Artscenter, during summer camp me and the other kids teacher tumble stacked the load and never even used shelves and we were putting in leather hard work! We never lost one piece amazingly enough! I'm not saying do it this way, but you can do it without loss. You can put small bowls inside of large bowls, stack bowls rim to rim, lots of creative ways to use space efficiently. Plates can usually survive if you don't stack more than three. I wouldn't do any of this with my houses, but wheel thrown stoneware mugs and bowls are very forgiving. Porcelain and tiles and flat trays can require a little more care. You get better and more efficient the more you do it. The most important thing is to make sure you are firing DRY work! and yes it is good to give the thermocouples some space. I usually keep the shelves at least 1 inch away and I don't put work right next to it. Just be cautious at first and get a little more adventurous with each firing. You will learn how you like things done soon enough!

Amy said...

thanks Linda and Tracey! It's off and firing-- :)