Sunday, May 6, 2012

Somedays

Somedays, like today- all I want to do is be a potter.  If only I could make a living doing it...  At least I can still throw a good bowl on a day like today.  :)

4 comments:

Tracey Broome said...

I know......

DirtKicker Pottery said...

Very cool bowls indeed.

Peter said...

That's nice! So good to have days like that, it makes it all worthwhile!

Regarding the translucent cone 6 glaze, the really simple clear that I was using for cone 6 can make a good blue with a little cobalt. (Add a trace of chrome or copper or rutile if you want it a little different from being just another cobalt blue!)

The cone 6 clear base was
20 Potash Feldspar, 20 Frit 3134 (4108 in my part of the world), 20 Wollastonite, 20 silica, 20 china clay (or ball clay).

It appears that there are many variations on that base that work well, such as Dolomite in place of Wollastonite, Soda Feldspar or Spodumene in stead of Potash feldspar. For me it is just a good, useful glaze that you can add things to to make it interesting!
Have fun!

cookingwithgas said...

It has become a hard. hard way to make a living.
After 30 years we are wondering what we will do.