Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Tomorrow is the day

Finally got my wheel set up and ready. It's so CLEAN! (brand new is why) and just beautiful.
Beginning to unpack a few boxes of pottery supplies. Hard to know which banding wheel to get.
My next big purchase is metal shelves--- heard from several to get them at Sam's Club. Will check out wal-mart as Sam's Club is nowhere close. And, I'll purchase a scale online somewhere to weigh clay.
Tracey Broome, you are brilliant! This is the space heater I ended up buying from Lowe's. It was priced $35 and then they sold me this one, the display one for $20. It really does set out a bunch of heat...and I will pull it away from anything before turning it on. Thank you a bunch, Tracey for that wisdom!
I cannot put into words how tough it has been to be away from the wheel for 6 mos. Part of me has been missing. Tomorrow, I"ll put my hands into the first of 500 lbs. of clay, wedge it, and begin to make some like these. Thankfully, one doesn't forget how to make something at the wheel, although I expect it will take awhile to get back into it. While it'll be awhile till I fire something in the kiln (I travel to Costa Rica for a week soon), I keep telling myself that this will take time. At least I can make a bunch of pieces and just line them up trimmed and all, getting them ready for a bisque firing.

Off to find a scale to weigh clay and a metal shelving unit. Thanks for all the support and suggestions!

5 comments:

Tracey Broome said...

I'm so excited for you! This time last year, I started on my studio and I know how it feels. Good that you got the heater now, I tried to get one in March last year and they were putting out the air conditioners and garden furniture! As far as the scale goes, my husband bought me an ohaus last year, triple beam and I love it. I had considered a digital, but we had those at the studios I worked at and something was always going wrong with them. There isn't much that can go wrong with a triple beam, they aren't cheap though :(
Get some candles and nice incense and have a little ceremony to greet your new space. Congratulations!!!!
xo

jffollies said...

So happy for you. Iknow that feeling of missing clay and I came to it really,really late.When most are considering cutting back or quitting.
So glad you are ready to carry on and move forward.
Like Tracy said,greet your space and follow so many with your own little altar.

Linda Starr said...

How wonderful; are you throwing standing up? I can't tell from the photo. I have yet to get a banding wheel I have a cheapy lazy susan from a dollar store and I finally found out why all my pieces lean, the lazy susan leans. Ha. When do you get your kiln?

I used the triple beams in the classroom at the college I went to and they work great. Lots to be said for investing in good quality equipment.

Costa Rica, I was just reading about some Costa Rican masks. There is a mask painting class at an arboretum I want to go to in Sarasota.

Lori Buff said...

How exciting for you. Congratulations.
You might find some good shelves on Craigslist, they are often less expensive there too.
I have a combination of wood shelves and wire shelves for my studio. I do have an old towel on the wire shelves, it help prevent lines in the pots from the wires but still allows air to pass through.
Best of luck.

Max said...

Good luck to you Amy, I know you will fall right into the groove.