Tuesday, March 29, 2011

More Wood Kiln, etc. Pictures

Wood kiln pictures follow. First here are some jars that came out of the gas kiln. This one has a spotted shino base with blue/green celadon glaze applied with an atomizer. The celadon turned purplish. Beautiful!
Also sprinkled some granulated rutile on it which resulted in this. The effect may have to grow on me---- as I'm not sure I like it, but now I know what the granulated rutile can look like on top of these two glazes.
The jar on the right has blue/green celadon glaze with a bit of alfred's blue very lightly sprinkled on it in some places. Now onto more wood kiln pictures...
Pic of the wood (groundhog) kiln before the firing.
Some good luck charms and used kiln packs on top fo the kiln... that's a type of bird made out of metal.
Pre-firing... Here are two of my teabowls along with Hal Dedmond's pieces and some of Tara's too. Turns out that one of my teabolls ended up broken, but that's how it ends up sometimes.
What a beautiful kiln! Looking closely, 3 kiln packs can be found... this is to ensure that the air gets hot enough in all the places- even in the back of the kiln near the chimney.
The white pebbles under the pieces help to capture any glaze that runs off of the pots. The alkaline glaze in particular, run alot. Three teabowls there in all. One is directly behind another.
Finally, a bird feeder I put up this evening. Shino glaze with blue green celadon added as an accent by an atomizer. A bit of soda ash too.... Will make more of these! A little wire--- and it was hung. Thanks Dad for your wisdom in helping me make this.

Oh, and I decided during the wood kiln process that I would like to fill at least part of a wood kiln and fire it someday. :) May add that to my bucket list.

1 comment:

Linda Starr said...

What a great firing, love that bird feeder so beautiful.