
Well the kiln was unloaded on Saturday and here are my bowls that were in it. The biggest one in the center of the pic is one that may serve as the bowl for the font at Duke. The glaze didn't turn out the way I wanted it to.... then again, it's glaze! Unpredictable, for starters. Also in the pic is a plate (far right) and a small vase.

Here's the same big bowl while still in the kiln. It took up a whole kiln shelf and I like the sides of it better than the coloring on the inside of the bowl. Oh well...

Towards the back of this pic is another bowl. I think I'll give one of the smaller ones to my Mom. One would make a good birdbath--- the two bowls at the top of the first pic of this blog are too small to be the baptismal font bowl. I'll use them or give them to someone. Did lots of experimentation with big bowls these past few weeks. Fun!

This pic shows two big bowls in one... both on different shelves in different parts of the kiln- although both on the front stack.

With a close look one can see my chalice in the back.

Another pic of the big bowl and the variation of the glaze. Base glaze: blue/green celadon with parts of alfred's blue glaze poured on top.

This kind of color variation is something that one can't plan. It just happens. Gorgeous!

An easier view of the chalice.

The biggest bowl-- one of two candidates for the font. The coloring on the bowl is better than in this pic. I wish the cross + shape was more subtle. A bit disappointing. The colors really look better in person than in the pic. Oh well.... I'm eager to see how this one below turns out...

This big bowl was put into the electric kiln today. Time will tell how it turns out! I think it'll come out on Thursday. :)
Next post--- birdhouses and birdfeeders.... which have quickly become my latest favorite forms to make.
2 comments:
Wait a day or two before you decide you don't like the bowls as I think they are beautiful. The big bowl seems a very modern rendition of a cross and I really like the blue in the bottom of the bowl, it looks like glass, is it? The plate is awesome too, very nice work.
Thanks, Linda... The bowl is growing on a bit... Great to hear from you.
Post a Comment