
How will it look? This is one of several bowls that I'm making. The pattern is the outline of a baptismal font at the Episcopal Center at Duke University. It's a wooden font and I'm making several bowls-- one of which will be the bowl for the font.

Each bowl that I've made is a bit different. One of the challenges is to guess how much they will reduce in size when fired. 12% more or less. Time will tell. This one in the pic above is drying and getting ready to be fired in the bisque kiln.

This bowl has been fired in the bisque kiln. It's all ready for glaze to be put on it.

These three are awaiting the bisque kiln. The one on the far left is a flowerpot. It's been fun making big forms recently. I am more familiar with smaller forms so this has been a great challenge!

I decided to glaze two bowls in similar colors. This one has blue/green celadon as its base and then I poured some alfred's blue on it as shown above.

Decided to put a bit more blue on this one. Only one will be big enough for the font. The other will find a new home somewhere!

I intentionally put the blue on the bowl to allow it to drip on the sides, some of which will show on the font and some of which will not. These bowls will enter the gas kiln on Wednesday and be out next Saturday. Fun, fun! I'm eager to see how they turn out. How will they look?
1 comment:
Hey, those bowls are great. I know I read somewhere there is a way to mathmatically figure the shrinkage, but I never do that, one of these days. Stop on over to my blog when you get a chance, as I have given you an award there.
Post a Comment