Thursday, February 18, 2010

New Pots!

The latest group of pots came out of the kiln yesterday- Ash Wednesday. I like the wood ash in these which is the spots of gray on each. Glazes: spotted shino base with catherine's oribe and soda ash and wood ash as accents. I really like how the rims are lighter... from a thicker coat of shino. Thanks for the wood ash, Dad!
I really like this; there's some variation in the spotted shino glaze-- both of these above have that... the difference is the thickness of the glaze. Left: thicker than the right.
Meanwhile yesterday I made this big bowl. This is the largest one I've made to date. 6 lbs of clay. I'm quite happy with it!
This chalice and paten are beautiful! Plates are just not fun to make...
I also spent some time etching words into these vases, which are upside down drying.
Made this big casserole Tuesday night too, plus the lid.

Another chalice and paten set. I like the plates with less oribe; this has a unique look though.
Some of the yunomis from the last firing. Even the one on the far left is spotted shino glaze-- just thicker glaze.
Some bowls. I'm making more bowls these days.
Good grey from the one with soda ash on the left. I like how the shino drips a bit at the rim.
Bowls!
This is just tons of fun.
I think I'll get a new camera sometime in the next couple months or so. What fun it is to be in the pottery world. I wonder... what next?

4 comments:

Jerry said...

I am loving the bowls!! Nice glaze & deco.

Linda Starr said...

wonderful pieces and spectacular glazes, Amy, love what you are doing.

Angela said...

Amy - nice bowls. I don't remember seeing you work on all of these. Also 6lbs worth of bowl! Good for you! Adrienne is slowly making us see that we too can throw big (well relatively speaking).
Angela

Tracey Broome said...

I had a friend that left a note on my shelf one time that read: sh sh sh shino..... I love it, what a wonderful glaze. That's all I ever used to do. Those shinos look great.