Monday, July 13, 2009

Back in the Studio... Finally!

This past weekend marked my return to the studio after my long trip.
It always takes awhile to adjust to life back in the States.
We have running water that is safe to drink.
We have hot water coming out of the faucet.
We can wash our clothes quite easily.
We have lots of food that is safe to eat so closeby!
For these reasons and more, it always takes me awhile to adjust back to life here.
It was fun to return to the studio, talk with friends, and glaze a few pots in time for the gas kiln firing. The kiln was loaded tonight.
Above are three pots. The one with the blue rim is mine; the other two are from Bolivia. The tall one is from Tiwanaku, an old ruin located outside La Paz, Bolivia. I purchased it in Cochabamba, Bolivia though and the vendor says it was from Tiwanaku. Maybe it is not. At least it has that Bolivian look with lots of little traditional Incan symbols inscribed in it. Will do some research and a post about that later.
The small plate is typical of one that can be found in the artesania outdoor markets with the designs on it. I gave it to a friend at the studio.
Somehow, my pictures here in the U.S. are blurry. Maybe my camera doesn't like being back. :( Gotta figure that out.
This is another plate.. a saucer actually, that is from Bolivia. I like the symbols and painting on it.
Here's its match. The staircase symbols remind me of the Andean cross.
I finally had my first glass of wine about a week after I returned. Thanks, Becky! how thoughtful. Her pot on the right is a cave art one. Gorgeous!
I decided to branch out and try a little new glazing design. This swirly design is from that tall Bolivian piece from Tiwanaku. Will do some research later to find out what it means as I'm still quite tired now. Time and the kiln.... will show how these turn out.
Clay: Phoenix stoneware
Glaze: spotted shino with the rims dipped in alfred's blue. Accents in Alfred's blue. Some soda ash sprinkled onto the sides as well.
I used a little wax resist too on some, like the one in the center and on the left. These aren't my favorite forms, so I don't mind testing the surface design of them a bit. It'll be interesting to see how they turn out.
Saturday was a great one to be in the studio even though it was hot and humid. Gosh, time goes by fast once you enter Clayworks.

2 comments:

Jen Mecca said...

Welcome home. Nice post and I like those pots you have no there!
Jen

Linda Starr said...

Hi Amy, I like the glaze experimentation you are doing on your new pots, can't wait to see them fired. The Bolivian pots are beautiful, what a great trip you must have had. So true there are many things in this country we take for granted which are not so available in other countries, thanks for reminding me to appreciate what I have so readily here.