Sunday, June 14, 2009

A Couple Summer Pottery Days

Well, my sale at University Shoppes was quite an experience. In short, it was hot, humid, a bit quiet everywhere sales-wise, yet still fun!
At the booth across from us the tie dye shirts, dresses, and hats were everywhere! Tie dye clothing never seems to go out of style.
My dad was a big reason my display looked so good. He helped cut wood for it in different lengths. I was so pleased with how it all turned out.
Yunomis of all shapes and sizes were on display.
Next door at Becky's booth, birds were plentiful. Check out her blog here for more!
Aren't these gorgeous? One is looking right at you!
It was a huge help to transport everything using this... a cart that my dad gave me that he found at a used outdoor sale. Thanks, Dad!
Several times throughout the day, furry animals visited. One was particularly thirsty and Becky and Cindy are animal lovers so in no time at all, water was found and all were happy.
Meanwhile, back to my display. I couldn't have gotten the kind of fabric I wanted without Mom's help. Yes, it is a simple black, but going with Mom to get the fabric made it all easier!
Here is a collection of some of my potpourri work--- pieces from different firings. A barrel fired piece and a raku one, too.
Here you can see more of the weathered wood and wood blocks my dad cut for me. A few plants, though hard to see here, helped too. My good friend Linda, was the giver of that wisdom, suggesting I bring them as she's been down this road before. Thanks, Linda!
A few folks from years past visited, inviting us to the upcoming fall Renaissance Festival in Charlotte. It was hot this weekend wearing summer clothes; I can't imagine how hot they were!
Some friends stopped by too, which was fun. Becky was also a great neighbor and purchased this cool tie dye bag that she's proudly displaying.
I shared a booth with Cindy and she and Becky got some sushi to pass the long hours at the sale. Pinot grigio helped too. Look closely for it in this picture.
Meanwhile, it's summer here, so while I write this at 7 pm, I'm getting eaten by mosquitos on the front porch here in Davidson. It's too beautiful to go inside; even with bug repellant on, they like me.) I also just walked down to hear a bit of Concert on the Green. Lots of people! A few tents, like the ones that were used in the arts sale this weekend. Abbey Road, the Beatles tribute band was playing. One had green hair; hmmm. Big crowd.) I hope to go to Summer Pops at Symphony Park (Charlotte Symphony) in Charlotte, yet before I know it, June will be over!
While sales were few this weekend, I've learned so much about this sales process. The venue matters and the history of the venue matters and the internet is a great way to sell things, which doesn't mean one has to sit for hours and sell things at a festival :) I also took some time to decide on the next step of my pottery making. For now, I'll make different forms (jars, vases, planters and more yunomis with an imprint etched onto them before they go into the first kiln (bisque one) in addition to filling orders. This would give the newest set of yunomis a look and texture like the one above.
And most of all, I don't make pottery to sell it. I make it because I love being at the wheel, playing with the earth. Selling the pottery is just an extra.
So all in all, the time was valuable. Most of all, I missed time at the wheel.
A great weekend. Time with friends was the best part. I think that's best.
Off to read People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks. I've heard much good about this; it comes highly recommended. Have you read it?

6 comments:

Becky said...

What a wonderful post, Amy! And when did you take some of those photos? Your camera may not be all that you'd like it to be but your eye more than makes up for it!

As a huge Beatles fan, I wish I could have been there to see "Abbey Road". What fun that must have been!

I truly enjoyed the last 48 hours. Lots of fun and lots of personal growth on our journey. I enjoyed spending time "on the road" with you! :)

Linda Starr said...

Wow Amy, you have a wonderful booth display and I love the plant additions, it warms up the booth just that little bit which makes a big difference. Keep in mind every venue is different and some are better sellers than others and also some may contain more work which is more craft than art. I think the crafty type of fairs distracts from the more art fairs where handmade pottery might be featured. Some venues people come for years and may not buy the first year or may take your card and purchase later. I found the first couple of shows I went to I was happy just to learn the ins and outs of art fairs, setting up my booth, gain confidence in talking about my work and getting feedback from the public. Each of those was worth much more than a sale of my pottery at the time would have been. I was at one fair where the booth across from me was metal art from silverware - I know - anyway this booth got all the attention and those surrounding it got zip - I think the folks were just so worn out when they left his booth they needed a visual rest. Sales weren't good for anyone near this booth the whole three day show. Those hand carts really help; your dad is a real gem to help with all he did and your mom too, lucky you.

Sushi and Pinot Grigio at the festival, what a wonderful time you all had I am so envious.

Anonymous said...

some nice looking yunomis

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Your pots and display look really good.
I did fairs for about 11 years and don't do any now. I am lucky to have other sales venues, because they are hard work!

Kari Weaver said...

Meager sales aside, I genereally have the best time talking to folks, looking at other artists' booths and visiting with my show neighbors. I love the weathered wood and greenery in your display.

Cindy Powers said...

Your yunomi and the display look great. I read POTB for book club. I am sure you will enjoy it, just keep in mind there are lots of names and dates to keep track of.