Thursday, April 2, 2009

They're Out...

Seven pieces came out of the gas kiln. These two are my favorites.
I really am experimenting these days with surface design. These have wax resist and then spotted shino and alfred's blue, fired at cone 10. The kiln as a whole had much more oxidation in usual, resulting in the spotted shino being whitish. A little soda ash was sprinkled on the outside; it's hard to see, but is more evident on the one on the left.
Here are all seven. I was disappointed with the one third, from the left. They all have spotted shino glaze on them as a base, which turned out mostly white. I'm learning lots in all this.
Even the insides, which are all spotted shino glaze, are more white than usual. I wasn't the only one who was surprised at the results. This sometimes happens with kilns. You never know how the pottery will turn out! So, I have much to learn in all this. Simple is good, I keep telling myself.
Meanwhile, my plants are getting settled. Here is a beautiful cactus planter that was given to me from a good friend. When I received it, most of the plants were about gone and there were only a few. So, I bought a few succulents at Lowe's and waited.
Found this on the front porch. Anyone know what kind of spider this is? It has a dark brown/black stripe down its back. I showed it the front lawn, and pushed it in that direction, encouraging it to go in that direction.
Helped to get the studio ready for the Spring Sale tomorrow night. Elaine brought some goldfish with this great round symbol in the bag.
Also cleaned my shelf at Clayworks. Here it is. I'm amazed I can do so much with the tools on this small amount of space! I'm ready for the spring classes which begin next week!

4 comments:

Linda Starr said...

Wow, you cups came out beautiful. I like the one in the middle on the shelf in the group shot. Great work.

I think it is a wolf spider. I can't make the photos go larger - how do you do that by the way?

Kari Weaver said...

I agree with Linda Starr on the spider id. They are harmless.

You seem to love shinos which are my personal favorites. I've only fired my gas kiln once and I was so excited to be firing cone 10 again. Since I'm still learning this kiln, I didn't have as much reduction as I like and my shinos were...yawn...boring! You just never know!

Amy said...

Thanks to you both. Glad the spider's harmless. Yes, shinos are my favorite! As for the photo setting, I have no idea how that happens-- maybe a camera setting or the program it's on? Who knows... peace~

Gary's third pottery blog said...

hey Clary Ilian's book! great cups there :)