Did some glazing tonight, but first there was yesterday.
Busy Sunday. I'm getting back into stoneware again and made this new form. Not sure if I'll keep it; I'm in an experimental phase. This is with phoenix clay; it's been about a year and a half since I've used this kind of clay. Thankfully, I've improved a bunch since then.
First put some wax resist on the bottom of these plates. Then, I ended up glazing these six plates with a base glaze of Ron's Creme. Also added accents of glaze in the colors of Ban Gareen, Tahitian, and Ryoko Cream. Applied some of the accent glazes with the bulb in the pic, making drops and also with my index finger, creating a different look. All will be fired in the electric kiln (cone 5). Haven't used this glaze combo before; will be interesting to see how these turn out. I do think that plates are high maintenance and hard to make. The plate form doesn't come easy for me; the teacups are easier. Guess I need to make lots of plates to improve that!It's been wet outside. I'm ready for dry weather when I can go running.
On another note, lately, I've gotten some invitations to participate in artisan shows and other small events. While it's exciting, it just takes lots of time! I don't make pots full-time and I haven't been throwing clay as long as many other potters, but I'm reminded that there is just ALOT involved in being a full-time potter, not to mention making the pots! How does one make a living doing this? Gosh...
3 comments:
How exciting you have been invited to participate in shows and events. What a difficult question, how does one make a living at pottery. I don't think it's easy since the time involved is great and the amount one can charge for items can only be so much. I am reading Alyson Stanfield's book "I'd Rather Be in the Studio" which among other books has been helpful to me.
there is a lot involved in being a full-time potter, like making cookies, walking the dogs and playing with the cats and occaisionally making and selling something ;)
Linda, will check out that book, thanks for telling me about it!
Gary, I think I really want to be a full-time potter when it means that one can do those kinds of things! All the better...
Post a Comment