Sunday, March 8, 2009

Slipwork-- Sgrafitto!

It's been a busy weekend and I haven't posted in a couple of days, but I have spent time in the studio. Life is exhausting sometimes and while I spent time with close friends this weekend which was simply wonderful, I've been trying to decide what to do as I continue to be out of work. I've decided... and I'll share more tomorrow.
Meanwhile.... Thankfully, I can still center clay and great things are happening in the studio-- time there has been the best thing for me. With only two more of the ten week 'Slipware' class sessions, I've had a good amount of time to try new ways to apply slip to clay. I've decided that I most of all, like to make forms and put writing into them (sgrafitto)--- like the plate above.
In high school I learned a little calligraphy and this has helped in my penmanship, when I want it to. I really write much different on paper as you can see in the newspaper writing above when I wrote down some of the words from a song-- - this is my usual writing-- much more sloppy, but in comparison, I like this particular handwriting that I put on the plate. It's part of the lyrics to one of Peter Mayer's songs called 'Blue Guitar'. I REALLY want to make many more of these kinds of plates and would like to sell these too-- with personalized quotes, etc. I really like how the writing is not perfect, with each line straight. I want it to appear on the plate as if writing was just scribbled down-- but maybe the penmanship is too good? I want it to be readable-- Will have to think about that.... Also put slip on these plates above and these designs...
I really like the depth and variety of the slip on the one below. (Hard to see in the pic, sorry!)
To make the design on this plate, I first poured slip from one side of the plate just onto the top part of it, and then wiped the rim of the plate with a sponge while the slip was still wet. Then I waited a bit for the slip to set and then started the design work.
I also used my fingertips to etch some different designs on these particular plates--- flowers and stars- the stars always have symbolized hope for me. I added some smaller stars onto that plate after the picture, using a sgrafitto tool for additional depth. Drawing images isn't really one of my fortes, but I think these are a good start.
Also used a sponge to dab some blue and white slip on the outside of this yunomi.In the middle of all this slipwork, I also spent a bunch of time just talking with friends, which was a great thing. In this pic, L-R is John, Minke, and Elaine. We had several tea breaks.
Sunday-- today was a gorgeous day, so as tired as I was and as beautiful as it was out, I couldn't stay in the studio all afternoon, so I went to the park and rested on a blanket and took a short nap, catching a little sun. :) Losing an hour of sleep last night, plus a couple nights of non-restful sleep meant I have been tired for most of the day. Tonight will be different.

4 comments:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

looking quite gorgeous, esp. that plate!

Linda Starr said...

Amy your sgraffito plate does look like someone has just jotted down notes, I think you are on to something with these I really like them.

I thought of a unique way to get a job, not sure if it would work for you, but I am going to try. I live 17 miles one way from town, so I am typing up a cover letter along with my resume and taking them around to some independent type businesses, just walking in cold. The cover letter will say, "Hi my name is (etc etc) - I will work for you for one day for just the cost of my fuel to drive down here (say $10), then in the future if you need someone to work for you or know of someone else who needs work, even temporary or for one day, will you call me or refer me?" - This would be for office type work. It might work and it might get me some work. What do you think?

Linda Starr said...

Oh the cover letter would also include - if they call me they then have to pay me the going rate for that type of work - I forgot to add that in.

Matt Grimmitt said...

Hi Amy, I really like the way you have used the white slip inside the plate with script on it. All looking really good, I guess you have been bitten by the slipware bug and you couldn't have a better teacher than Ron. Looking forward to seeing plenty more in the future, keep up the good work. :)