Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Big Plates and More

I made these on Tuesday night, but will write first about what I learned in class. These are my first big plates. :)
Tuesday night at the studio was a busy one. Ron did a bunch of demos that were incredibly helpful. I am learning lots from his teaching.
This with two different styles of handles. Below pic is not the best, but the handle is twisted.
My big accomplishment of the night was making two big plates. These two have different styles that are hard to see from this pic. I'll trim them tomorrow and take better pictures then too.

Ron also trimmed a yunomi on a chuck. This pic above shows how it is important to pay attention to the symmetry of the yunomi.

Ron also showed us how to make that lip (or whatever it's called) at the top of the pot to support a lid. He always makes things look so easy.

Then he demo'ed (sp?) different styles of lids like this one above.
Then put the lid over this small golf sized ball with paper over it.
Putting the lid over the golf sized ball chuck with paper over it, to prevent the clay sticking to each other creates depth in the lid.

Ron also showed me one of his plates, so I could see how it was trimmed. Front side above; foot of the piece, below.

This is the bottom of the plate. I really like this form. Now I want to make a set of plates that are different forms. What a great night at Clayworks.

7 comments:

Jerry said...

I love that tip about the flat lid put onto the ball of clay topped with paper. What a simple idea to make a funky raised lid. Love it! I guess he did this while the clay was still pretty wet?

Oh, that lip is called the gallery and I need to work on mine. I am planning on making some stacking bowls and they are all going to have them. Yikes!

Good post.

Amy said...

Jerry,

Good to hear from you. Yes, it's the gallery! Now I remember Ron calling it that. My memory....
Yes, that was all done when the clay was still pretty wet. Ron says he even has bisqued some of the round balls because he makes a bunch of lids.

Linda Starr said...

Great photos Amy. Boy you are really learning a lot and Ron seems like such a good teacher. My teacher says he prefers to "leave us to our own devices" so I flounder along learning from all the blogs. thx.

Jerry said...

Linda, that doesn't sound like a very good teacher! Sounds like it's time for an uprising. Get your money's worth!

Amy said...

Linda,

I agree with Jerry. Not a teacher at all!

Linda Starr said...

I'm living in the sticks and this is the only game around here. You wouldn't believe the politics in this class (It's a very long story, for example, I asked about using cones and they said "they've been firing that way all along and it's been just fine", below cone 07 for bisque and below cone 9 for high fire stoneware - then they wondered why the glazes didn't melt in one glaze load). If only I could sell my house, I could move to a more metropolitan area where there is more than one resource for clay instruction. I keep plugging along and have actually gotten some good results and learned a lot thanks to all you wonderful bloggers.

Jerry said...

Well, it sounds like you have a good attitude about it. Hang in there! And I agree that the blogosphere is a great resource.