First... what an accomplishment! Click this for more.Now to clay... It was wonderful to see the finished slipware pieces today. Here is a sample of them... the clay looks black in this pic; instead it is dark, dark brown.
I'm really happy with how they turned out. Only problem is that they shrunk a BUNCH! I'll get some better pics tomorrow. The glare from the photo also shows as crooked lines in the upper two bowls. The bowl on the bottom has tahitian cone 5 glaze; all are made from earthen red clay. Here's a closeup of the side of the bowl on the top right:
Here you can see more clearly the true color of the pot. On this, I just brushed on white and a little blue slip. I'll use this design again.
I quickly found a use for some of the new pots. :) I had just returned from running and was very hungry; edamame and a glass of red wine was the perfect appetizer as I put slip on some more bowls. (The pot holding the red wine isn't mine.) Soy sauce is in the bowl on the bottom left.
So, I started the slipwork. There's alot of things to consider in this: the angle at which the slip bulb is held... the rate at which the wheel is turned when the slip is applied. All this and one's hand has to be steady.
It's much harder than it looks...
I put slip on these four bowls which are much bigger than the previous ones. Hopefully, they won't shrink too much so they can be cereal bowls. The bowls that just came out, including the one on the way left are now dessert bowls. I'm on the way to making a set! I just need plates now. Will try to throw them tomorrow.
I finished the evening by putting some slip and then sgraffittoing (is that a word?) on this medium sized plate. Poured slip over it and then wrote the words on it with a needle tool. It took a long while.... It's a gift for a friend of mine, Damaris, who just got married on December 27. She's from Guatemala and the scripture is from Ruth, in spanish. It was so peaceful to be in the studio all by myself; what a calm, quiet evening! Tomorrow is raku... I can hardly wait!
2 comments:
Amy, your pieces look beautiful!!! Kudos to you on the slip trailing. Such nice pieces! Can't wait for raku tomorrow and an ENTIRE Saturday at the studio!
That bowl with the side view is spectacular, do you put a glaze underneath and then slip over - how did you accomplish that look? I just love the layered affect.
Post a Comment