Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Treasures from the Kiln

Sunday night the kiln was unloaded and 23 pieces of mine came out and revealed their final colors. I was amazed at how some turned out and disappointed at a few. Here's one that I was happy to share and Becky immediately decided it had her name on it. Good news for me.

I'm thankful it found a great home. The spotted shino glaze on it was too thick. The pattern it created though is so unique and creative... What is one person's trash is another's treasure! Had some interesting results on the other ones. Here are some... Mostly tumblers. The shino glaze was too thick on some and the soda ash sprinkled on the outside of some didn't turn out. I liked this pic's angle. Now the fun adventure of finding new homes for these. I think I'll sell a few. Made a few bowls. Had some good variation. These are all glazed with shinos (spotted, rick's or gustin)... and sprinkled with a bit of soda ash.

The gas kiln was also loaded again tonight. So four more pieces are IN. Here's John taking a peek at the full shelves.
It was COLD, COLD, COLD as the kiln was being loaded and I wasn't even out there for most of the time. Scarves and hats were helpful. Julie, the studio manager has a great attention to detail and her key lime green clogs help too, I think. So, Friday at 2 pm, I'll see what the kiln brings... Here's what it looked like before the door was shut. Also got to see the 'candling' when the gas is turned on and begins to take the humidity out of the inside of the kiln. I was exhausted by this point in the evening, so it's hard to remember. Please correct me if needed. Pic is a bit blurry, but how neat!
Here's a final shot of some of my tumblers. The bigger white one (a utensil jar) in the center is for my mom. I'm pleased! :) Note to self: Always use the hydrometer in the glazes before applying them. I've decided that if I could make a living being a potter, I would. Maybe then, though it wouldn't be as fun though. I am considering selling some of these, so if interested, let me know. :) I'll post some individual pics of them soon. They really are treasures.

Editor's Note: Thanks to John for helping me out with correct terminology... :)

2 comments:

jbf said...

Great pots and pics (although maybe not my best side)! It's great you captured Becky in her glam potter phase. Rock on.

Becky said...

What a nice haul! And thank you for the gift! Have you tried throwing an evening gown. ;> (Just remember, no boa)