Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Gentleness

In a world that is at times not gentle, I was mindful while at the wheel today that there's a gentleness, an indescribable grace, about being at the wheel making pottery from the earth. And, impatience has no place at the wheel. Time is a necessity. In the midst of much going on, I was able to make this at the wheel...This is a miracle. A simple tumbler. When it becomes leather-hard, I'll add some definition to it. I have some ideas in mind. What a simple form... so beautiful.

1 comment:

jbf said...

You're right, there is a great gentleness to making pottery, especially in the smaller forms. It forces you to slow down and approach and withdraw much more slowly and gently. Things can get a bit rougher when you are trying to center ten pounds of semi-hard clay, but that's another story. :^)